This academic paper titled Biography Report has a total of 355 words and 2 pages.
1. John Muir by Ginger Wadsworth
2. The book is written about John Muir
3. The story takes place at Yosemite National Park from 1838-1914
4. John Muir was a botanist, geologist, and writer.
5. He had overcome earthquakes, glaciers, and he climbs mountains.
6. John Muir had impressed by overcoming all the dangers like animals. He was an expert on wilderness. He knows survival skills to stay alive. He studies nature and he writes about nature. He made a national park system as well as the Sierra Club. He knew that the Native Americans called the place "Pohono," or spirit of the puffing wind. At first he called it a "dainty little fall...only about fifteen or twenty feet high." John laughed after discovering that Bridalveil Fall drops 620 feet. He writes all kinds of quotes about nature, for example:
"I am captive, I am bound. Love of pure unblemished Nature seems to overmaster and blur out of sight all other objects and considerations."
John works in his "scribble den." John had two brothers and five sisters and their names are: Margaret, Sarah, David, Dan, Mary, Annie, and Joanna. For several years, he had toyed with writing up his findings for publication. Jeanne Carr was the one that encouraged him. She even suggested titles and copied his notes. John decided to send an article to the New York Tribune. To his surprise, the newspaper published "Yosemite Glaciers" on December 5, 1871, and paid him $200, that was a lot of money back then. On New Year’s Day in 1872, the same newspaper printed "Yosemite in Winter." John thought that he might be able to earn his living by writing, what he called "pen work." He stayed in his cabin for the winter and wrote it.
He went through a couple of earthquakes. He joined his valley neighbors and suggested they smile a little and clap their hands. He said that Mother Earth is only trotting them on Earth’s knee to amuse them and make them good! Everyone thought John was a little crazy when he said that. He also farmed a lot.